Boats loaded with rice bags and barrels of sake glide past on the widest point of the Sumida River, where there is a small island (nakasu), forming a fork between the Sumida and Hakozaki Rivers. This area also was a dividing pool between fresh water and tidewater. Mount Fuji sits on the horizon surrounded by drifting clouds. The area of reeds in the middle foreground was reclaimed to build a new pleasure quarter in the early 1770s. Landfill of the shallow water began in 1771, creating Nakazu Shinchi (New Nakasu) which according to contemporary records bustled with 93 tea houses. However the pleasure quarter was demolished in 1789 and was returned to the original shallow water as Hiroshige depicted it here.